Awards and Bursaries
Written by Fort William First Nation - May 18, 2012
Fort William First Nation
Casino Rama Funds
4.6 Elder’s Programs
The Elder’s programs include those which are already in operation, in development and considered for the future.
4.6.2 Current Programs:
Building Healthy Communities Elder’s Program: the Fort William First Nation Health Centre operates this program. Components of the program include Winter Safety, the 55+ program and Elder’s brunches. Elder’s are also provided with an honorarium for their assistance and for appreciation of their community involvement.
A Facility needs to be built where programs and services can be delivered. There is an Elder’s Committee that has just formed in the New Year and is made up of elder’s from the Fort William First Nation.
The Elder’s Committee will be defining their needs to the Fort William First Nation.
4.6.4 Future Consideration:
Programs that address the specific needs of the Elders and seniors can include:
- Nutrition programs
- Recreation programs
- Social programs
- Cultural events and activities
- Traditional Healing
Services that address the specific needs of Elders and seniors can include:
- Day services: include planned social, recreational and physical activities, meals and transportation.
- Meals on wheels
- Transportation: Medical appointments, shopping and social and cultural activities.
- Home Maintenance and repair: Heavy housekeeping, seasonal housecleaning and yard work.
- Friendly visits: community and Long-term care facilities
- Security checks
- Caregiver support/counseling/training
- Member of the Fort William First Nation
- Elders (traditional definition): The position given by spiritual and community acceptance to the gifted individual who ensures that traditional values and teachings are passed along the generations.
- Seniors are those who are 55+
- The Elders programs fulfil Cultural Development Objectives in that:
- Elders provide spiritual counseling, support and healing,
conduct traditional ceremonies, teach the generations and provide accurate historical information.
- Elders offer knowledge of traditional activities and laws
and have the wisdom, insight and understanding to make decisions.
The seniors programs fulfil Health Objectives that address priority health issues, improve health status and promote a healthy environment. These program emphasize the holistic, continuum of care and life cycle approaches to well being.