Addictions Worker - Full-time Permanent
Closing Date: May 9, 2021 11:59 pm
Position Description: The Addictions Worker will counsel and advise individuals with alcohol, tobacco, drug, or other problems, such as gambling and eating disorders. The Addictions Worker assesses and provides direct intervention or referral to appropriate service providers/programs, for clients on issues related to: addictive patterns of behavior; concurrent disorders; and other mental health, behavioral and emotional concerns.
- Apply knowledge of the symptoms of overdose/withdrawal of various substances including, alcohol, cannabis and cocaine, and being prepared to assist the person in seeking medical attention.
- Develop a treatment plan for each client based on the assessment of presenting issue(s).
- Provide ongoing evaluation and revision of client’s progress/goals.
- Provide relapse prevention services as per the Fort William First Nation Drug Strategy document.
- Provide follow-up to clients once the counseling services are complete.
- Enhance the capacity of internal and external stakeholders in addressing the issues related to Addictions (including gambling, eating disorders) by facilitating workshops, participating in case conferencing and public forums on social issues.
- Coordinate and/or participate in case management, consultation and departmental planning activities.
- Collaborate with community agencies such as law enforcement, probation, education, social service agencies, medical profession and other chemical dependency treatment facilities to identify gaps in community services and develop plans for addressing these gaps.
- Create and maintain client records in a confidential and professional manner.
- Maintain confidential client files according to Fort William First Nation policies and procedures.
- A full job description is available upon request.
- Completion of a diploma or degree program in Addictions Counseling and Case Management
- Minimum 2 years experience in Addictions counseling and case management.
- Certified Alcohol & Drug Case Manager (I.C.A.D.C.) from the Addictions Intervention Association, the Canadian Certifying Body for Addictions Case Managers, preferred.
- A sound knowledge of various therapeutic Addictions counseling theories and practices is required, especially in the areas of clinical evaluation of alcohol and drug issues, treatment planning, counseling, education and prevention, documentation and professional and ethical standards.
- Sound knowledge of the following techniques is required: crisis intervention, anger diffusion, conflict intervention and resolution, use of chemical dependency diagnostic tools.
- Knowledge of the Mental Health Act, the Child and Family Services Act and adherence to ethical and professional standards of conduct is required.
- Police Records Check.
- Politically and culturally sensitive.
Salary: To be negotiated.
Job Posting Closing Date: Applications, consisting of a cover letter and resume with three (3) references, must be received by 11:59 p.m. Sunday, May 9, 2021. Please direct your application to the attention of:
Human Resources Assistant
Ph: 807-623-9543 ext. 806
Email: [email protected]
When hand delivering; ensure that your application is date stamped and a copy provided to you.
We appreciate all applications. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
We're always looking for talented candidates to join Fort William First Nation
With our continuous growth and staffing needs, we welcome all qualified candidates to send their resumes in confidence to [email protected] or fill out the form below.