March 15, 2023
Notice is hereby given that a meeting of the electors of the FORT WILLIAM FIRST NATION will be held at the Fort William First Nation Community Centre located at 400 Anemki Drive in Fort William First Nation, ON on Saturday April 22, 2023 from 1 :00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. and lasting for at least three hours, for the purposes of nominating candidates for the positions of one (1) Chief and twelve (12) Councillor positions.
IMPORTANT INFORMATION ABOUT THE NOMINATION OF CANDIDATES:
- Any elector may nominate candidates by delivering or sending by mail, email or fax to the Electoral Officer a completed, signed and witnessed nomination and voter declaration form to the Electoral Officer before the time set for the nomination meeting, OR by making a nomination orally at the nomination meeting.
- Under the First Nations Elections Act, an elector must not nominate more than one (1) candidate for the position of chief and no more than twelve (12) candidates for the position of councillor.
- Under the First Nations Elections Act, a nominee does not become a candidate until they deliver to the Electoral Officer or Deputy Electoral Officer, by 6 p.m. on Tuesday, April 25, 2023, a signed Candidate Declaration form, which can be obtained from the Electoral Officer.
IMPORTANT INFORMATION ABOUT THE ELECTION:
- The election will be held on Saturday May 27, 2023 at the Community Centre located at 400 Anemki Drive in Fort William First Nation from 9:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m.
- An advance poll will be held on Friday May 19, 2023 at the Community Centre located at 400 Anemki Drive in Fort William First Nation from 9:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m.
- Any elector may vote by mail-in ballot by submitting a Request for Mail-in Ballot form, which can be obtained from the electoral officer, along with a copy of identification, by Sunday May 21, 2023.
- Any elector may permit the electoral officer to release their name to the candidates.